In The News
A Long History of Helping Youth
Founded in 1895 by John S. Hawley, who grew up on part of the property, originally his family's farm. He returned to the area after becoming one of NYC's most successful business owners and a pioneer in the candy industry. He donated the land and $25,000 to open The Charlton Industrial Farm School for Boys. With a mission to reclaim boys that seemed to be destined for a criminal life due to neglect and poverty.
In April 1938 the "new building" that had been constructed in the first years burned to the ground overnight. Boys were relocated to other institutions or family and the nearly 300 acre property laid mostly dormant for the next 17 years. Only occupied by a caretaker and his family in the small brick house that currently holds our business office on the west end of campus.
Things took a positive turn in 1955 when the board of trustees and executive director Mr. Huddeston opened the doors to young women. Hawley Cottage, the Administration building and soon Clemens cottage were built. The Charlton School began their mission of providing education and a home for young women within the Social Service system.
The Charlton School Today
Residential Cottages, the Ketchum-Grande Memorial School building, Administration and Business Offices, The Equine Learning Center, Sarah B. Foulke Arts Center, Family Connections Cottage, Pool, Pavilion, Garages and an original Barn.
Now more than ever The Charlton School strives to create a safe and nurturing environment that fosters growth in our students and helps them to succeed educationally, emotionally, and far beyond graduation.